• |
  • Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
  • |

MMCC   Frequently Asked Questions  

What is the process for obtaining legal medical cannabis, once available in the State of Maryland? 
  • Patients must first register as a qualifying patient on this website when the Patient Registry opens during the first quarter of 2017. The Patient Registry is not yet open.  
  • After you register, if your physician approves medical cannabis as a treatment option for you, he or she must start the process by registering as a certifying physician on this website. He or she must have an active, unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of Maryland, and be in good standing. The Physician must also be registered to prescribe controlled substances by the State.
  • Once you receive your patient number (obtained only through the Commission website), the patient’s registered physician can link to the patient by entering the patient’s Commission-assigned patient number on the Commission’s secure database, and then issue an online recommendation for medical cannabis.
  • Patients can then obtain medical cannabis at any licensed Dispensary in Maryland by presenting their ID card or a valid government-issued ID.
  • A Dispensary employee will query the Commission database to confirm your physician’s recommendation for you.
  • Once established and licensed, the list of Dispensaries and their locations will be posted on this website. Patients may only obtain a thirty-day supply at one time from a licensed dispensary and please note, a written certification that is not used to purchase medical cannabis within 120 days of issuance becomes null and void.  
  • At this time, the cost of medical cannabis is not reimbursable by any private or public insurance plan, Medicare or Medicaid, or through Veterans’ covered plans.
  • The District of Columbia is not dispensing medical cannabis to any Maryland resident.
  • Maryland residents should be aware that taking cannabis across State lines is a federal offense.  

FAQs – General Questions

What is the contact information for the Natalie M. LaPrade Medical Marijuana Commission?
The best means of contacting the office is email: dhmh.medicalcannabis@maryland.gov

Can the Commission help me understand the medical risks and benefits of cannabis?
The Commission advises anyone researching medical cannabis as a potential treatment option to speak with his or her physician. The Commission does not provide medical information to individuals and cannot assess a person’s suitability for medical cannabis treatment.

Will the Commission refer patients to doctors to obtain written certification? 
No. Ask your doctor to register with the Commission. 

Where can I read the complete list of regulations regarding medical cannabis in Maryland?
There is a link to latest draft of the regulations on our homepage: http://mmcc.maryland.gov/

Is there an electronic update I can sign up for?
The Commission does not currently have an electronic news alert system. We recommend you check the website’s homepage regularly for updates.

Why do the Maryland regulations exclude “food” from the permissible types of medical cannabis-infused products? Does this mean that all edible forms of medical cannabis are banned?

No. Licensed processors will produce cannabis in forms, such as extracts, oils, and tinctures. Some of those products would be suitable for patients and caregivers to use at home to make a wide variety of edible forms of cannabis. Some of these could also be flavored to increase palatability, Patients will need appropriate guidance and education about edible products.

All “food” produced or sold in Maryland is regulated by the Maryland Office of Food Safety. The Commission has not developed regulations regarding the production of medical cannabis in forms like food. 

I am a representative of a local government (county, city, township, etc.) where multiple entities will be applying to be growers, processors, or dispensaries of medical cannabis licensed with the Commission. What, if any, formal role will a local government play in the licensure decision-making process?

Pursuant to statute and/or regulation, an entity seeking licensure with the Commission as a grower, processor, or a dispensary is required to meet all local zoning and planning requirements.  There is no further formal procedure set out for input by local government.  


Last Updated: 1/20/2017