​Frequently Asked Questions

Guidelines for Purchasing a Scale to be used in Direct Sale Applications


·         Scale must be a NTEP (National Type Evaluation Program) approved device, through the National Conference on Weights and Measures (NCWM). The conference provides a searchable data base for scales and pos software systems located at: https://www.ncwm.net/ntep/cert_search

·         In order for a scale to be suitable for the application, the scale units must be at least .01 gram. This scale unit value is identified as the verification scale interval or e. Contact the Weights and Measures office for clarification if needed. (410) 841-5790.

·         Scale indications as well as the weighing operation (scale platter) must be visible to the customer during any transaction. The scale must be positioned so both the operator and the customer can observe the scale indications.  An auxiliary scale weight display may be installed for the customer to meet this requirement.

·         If packaging materials or containers are used during the weighing process, the scale or weighing system must be capable of taking tare in order that the customer is not charged for wrappers, containers or any other packaging materials. All sales must be in terms of net weight.

·         Any Point-Of-Sale software that is directly interfaced with a commercially used scale must have its own NTEP Certificate of Conformance.

·         Product price posting and advertisements must have the unit price expressed in the same units of the scale used to complete the transaction. Additional or supplemental declaration may be expressed in other units as long as the conversions are mathematically correct and clear.

·         Once a scale is purchased, the dispensary may contact a Maryland registered scale service technician and service agency to place the scale or scale pos system into commercial service. http://mda.maryland.gov/weights_measures/Pages/service_companies.aspx

·         Commercial scales used in transactions must be registered with The Maryland Department of Agriculture Weights and Measures Program. Notify the office weights and measures with the make and model of scale at (410) 841-5790.​

COMAR provides that “A party applying for a grower/processor/dispensary license shall have an interest in only one grower/processor/dispensary license application.” What does “party” mean?


​For this regulation, a party is an investor. An investor may ave an interest in only one application. This carries out the legal requirement of Health General Article 13-3306(a)(2)(iv).

What services will a dispensary be able to provide?


Dispensaries may distribute medical cannabis in processed form or dried flower. Dispensaries will also be permitted to supply devices to administer medical cannabis. Dispensaries may offer delivery services to patients.​​

Will dispensaries be subject to state inspection?


​Yes, all dispensaries located in Maryland will be subject to state inspection.​​​

Can a dispensary lose its license?


​Yes. The Commission is authorized to inspect dispensaries on an ongoing basis. In the case of a major deficiency, or a failed inspection, the Commission may take action, including revoking a license to dispense medical cannabis.​​

Is the consumption of medical cannabis allowed at the premises of a license dispensary?


​No; consumption on the premises is not allowed.  The regulations require patients to sign a statement that they understand that they are not immune from any prohibition on smoking cannabis in a public place or in a motor vehicle, or on private property where it is prohibited by the property owner.   Dispensary operators who violate the regulations or medical cannabis law are subject to fine and the suspension or revocation of their license.  ​​

Why do persons who want to volunteer to work at a licensed medical cannabis grower facility or licensed medical cannabis dispensary have to submit to a criminal background check? Who is a “volunteer?”


The General Assembly described all the persons who work or are affiliated with a licensed medical cannabis grower in the definition of “medical cannabis grower agent” to include “an owner, an employee, a volunteer, an officer, or a director.” Similarly, the General Assembly defined “dispensary agent” to mean “an owner, a member, an employee, a volunteer, an officer, or a director.”  The General Assembly also required that all grower agents and dispensary agents have a criminal background check.​​

Does a “secure transportation company” require a separate license from the State of Maryland?


​No; the licensee must provide required agent ID cards to anyone transporting cannabis.​​

May a transportation agent have a non-Maryland driver’s license?


​A transportation agent is not required to hold a Maryland driver’s license.​​​

Can a person with a particular skill be employed part-time by more than one grower, processor, or dispensary?


​Yes; however, the agent would need to register multiple registrations at a charge of $200 per registration.​​

Can a person be an agent for a grower, processor and a dispensary?


Yes. A person can be an owner in an entity that obtains a license for each class of activity, and therefore would be an agent for each licensee.​

What is a “resident”?


​A resident is one who lives in Maryland.  A person may demonstrate Maryland residency by providing one or more of the following: 1) Most recent Maryland tax return; 2) Most recent Maryland property tax bill; 3) Local gas and electric bill that is no more than 4 months old; 5) Valid Maryland Driver’s license; or 6) Another record that corroborates the Maryland residency.

A business may be registered to conduct business in the State of Maryland.  They may be either an out-of-state company which is establishing its Maryland existence, and its principal place of business may or may not be Maryland.  Alternatively, the business entity could be a “grass roots” company, meaning a business that was founded in Maryland and maintains its principal place of business in Maryland.  In either eventuality, a business entity may demonstrate its ability to conduct business in the State of Maryland by providing the following: 1) Articles of Incorporation or Articles of Organization; 2) Certificate of Status (also referred to as a Certificate of Good Standing); and 3) Identification of the Resident Agent. ​​

Will it be necessary to conduct background checks for employees who do not handle cannabis, such as janitorial staff?


​While any subcontractor may be registered with the MMCC, the subcontractor is not required to register with the MMCC.  However, should the subcontractor not be registered with the MMCC, then, they are considered a visitor to a non-public area, and the Grower, Processor, or Dispensary will be required to 1) log the visitor in and out of the premises; 2) retain a photocopy of the visitor’s government-issued identification; 3) continually visually supervise the visitor while on the premises; 4) ensure that the visitor does not touch any plant or medical cannabis; and 5) maintain a log of all visitors to non-public areas for two years.​

If our organization obtains a license to be a dispensary and a license to be a processor, may we locate both of the operations to be carried out under these separate licenses at a single location?


​Yes, so long as the building is constructed so that the processor and dispensary are two completely different units, each with an address which is independent of the other, they may share one common roof.  However, the two premises must each have a separate means of ingress and egress, and under no circumstances may the two premises have any means of internal ingress or egress between the dispensary or processor.​​

If, pursuant to COMAR, a dispensary agent confiscates a patient or caregiver ID card from a person to whom it has not been issued, then returns it to the Commission, does the dispensary or dispensary agent need to submit an incident report?


​The regulations do not specify or require that a report accompany the return of the confiscated patient ID card. However, it would be a good practice for the dispensary to prepare an explanation of why it is transmitting a patient or caregiver ID card to the Commission.​​

Are the required patient warnings adequate, especially the warning regarding the question of the safety of the use of medical cannabis by pregnant women?


​Yes; the Commission believes that these statements, acknowledge that each time a patient obtains medical cannabis will reinforce the need for caution to protect against the misuse of medical cannabis obtained from Maryland dispensaries.  The Commission reviewed the studies that have been published regarding cannabis use and pregnancy and determined that this warning is an accurate statement of the conclusions that can be made from the scientific evidence, and is sufficient to guide patients to be cautious.​​

How much medical cannabis and medical cannabis-infused product can a patient obtain in 30 days?


​The General Assembly directed the Commission to determine the amount of medical cannabis that would constitute a 30-day supply. Medical cannabis and medical cannabis-infused products will vary in their cannabinoid profile and potencies. The Commission wanted to ensure that patients would be able to obtain sufficient medical cannabis each month to provide relief of their symptoms, and established 120 grams of usable cannabis (primarily dried flower) as a 30-day supply.

The Commission also recognized that medical cannabis-infused products could not be measured in the same way as usable cannabis, and set a limit of 36 grams of THC as a 30-day supply. Each batch of usable cannabis will state the THC quantity (expressed as a percentage). The dispensary will calculate the weight of the THC in each transaction of usable cannabis, and will not dispense medical cannabis-infused products in a 30 day period that exceeds the 36 gram limit.