Photo Requirements for Registration
Examples of acceptable photos:
If your photo does not meet the stated guidelines, your application will be returned.
In general, your photo must look like a passport or driver’s license photo. Specifically, it must adhere to the following requirements:
- Must be a clear, color photograph of the head and shoulders
- Must be an image file (.jpg, .png or .gif) no larger than 3 MB in size
- Sized to 2 x 2 inches with dimensions in a square aspect ratio; minimum acceptable dimensions are 600 x 600 pixels, maximum acceptable dimensions are 1200 x 1200 pixels
- Scanned at a resolution of 300 pixels per inch
- Taken within the last six months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera with nothing obscuring the face, such as a hat or sunglasses
- Taken with a neutral facial expression (preferred) or a natural smile, and with both eyes open
- Photo may not be digitally enhanced or altered to change your appearance in any way
For more examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos, visit the Passport Photos page of the US Department of State website. NOTE: Please do not use the photo cropping tool on the Passport Photos page; simply view the photos provided as samples of what is and is not acceptable.