Registration for Adult Patients
REGISTER TO BECOME A MEDICAL CANNABIS PATIENT IN MARYLAND
What you will need:
1. A valid, accessible email account.
2. Full 9- digit Social Security Number
3. An electronic copy of a valid government-issued photo ID
4. Proof that applicant lives in Maryland
(All documents must be dated within the past 90 days)
Accepted forms of identification:
• Driver’s license
• State issued photo Identification card
• Military ID (both front and back)
• US Passport
If the identification you provide is not a Maryland driver’s license or MVA ID Card OR does not identify your current address, you must also provide two of the following documents as proof of your current Maryland address:
Note: Documents must include the applicant's name and address. Documents may not be from the same two agencies. (i.e. Two documents issued by MVA).
• MVA registration card or title
• MVA change of address card
Generally, the photo should look like a driver’s license or passport photo. Specifically, it must be a clear, color photo of the patient’s unobscured face taken within the last six months to reflect the patient’s current appearance and feature a plain white or off-white background. The patient must be clothed, directly facing the camera with both eyes open and should have either a neutral facial expression or a natural smile. The patient must not be wearing a hat, head covering, sunglasses or dark glasses.The file must be an image file (.jpg) no larger than 3 MB in size and may not be digitally enhanced or altered in a way that changes the patient’s appearance.
• Utility, telephone or cable/satellite TV bill
• Bank account statement
• Property tax bill
• Mortgage statement or proof of home ownership (Deed, Title, Bill of Sale)
• Major credit card bill (Visa, MasterCard, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.)
• Residential rental contract (lease or rental contract between landlord and tenant which includes all signatures).
• Selective Service Card
• Federal, state or local government mail issued by the state of Maryland (ie. Social Security, social services)
• Car insurance policy
• Paystubs (dated within 90 days)
• W-2 statements
• State of Maryland Health Insurance issued documents (ie. Medicaid, Medicare, Maryland Health Connection)
All documents must be dated within the past 90 days.
An electronic copy of a clear, recent photograph. We strongly recommend using a free, highly-rated passport photo app widely available for download via the App Store, Google Play Store or anywhere apps are available.
Examples of acceptable photos
If your photo does not meet the stated
guidelines, your application will be returned.
For more examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos, visit the Passport Photos page of the US Department of State website. NOTE: Please do not use the photo cropping tool on the Passport Photos page; simply view the photos provided as samples of what is and is not acceptable.
Patients in hospice care may elect to submit a letter from the attending hospice physician in lieu of a recent photo. The letter must be from the Attending of Hospice Record (AOHR) physician on hospice letterhead stating that the patient is a hospice patient under his or her care. It may be uploaded in either .jpg or .pdf format.
VA and Medicaid Recipient Patient ID Card Fee Waiver
If you are a qualifying patient who is enrolled in the Maryland Medical Assistance Program or the Veterans Affairs Maryland Health Care System, you are eligible for a waiver of the $50 fee for the patient ID card.
In order to receive the ID card fee waiver, you must fill out the online patient registration form and provide the following documentation:
- VA Enrollee:
- Individuals are required to upload their U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs ID Card. The expiration date must be valid and listed on the front of the VA ID card. See link https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/IB10-598_vhic_fact_sheet.pdf
- If you need a replacement card for Veterans Affairs, contact the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Information line at 1-877-222-VETS (8387) to request a new one.General Benefits Information: 1-800-827-1000
- Maryland Medical Assitance Program:
- A copy of your red and white medical assistance card from the state of Maryland is required, which can be obtained by calling the Maryland Health Connection Call Center at 1-855-642-8572
- See sample document here.
- A Certificate of Creditable Coverage, which can be obtained by contacting Maryland Medicaid Beneficiary Services at 1-800-284-4510,
- An Eligibility Determination Letter from the Maryland Health Connection, which can be obtained through your Maryland Health Connection account or by contacting 1-855-642-8572
If you need a replacement Medicaid ID card, call the Maryland Health Connection Call Center at 1-855-642-8572 to request a new one.
Please Note: If you are a current patient, you are not eligible to have the fee waived retroactively. You may be eligible for the fee waiver upon renewal.
- Complete and submit an online application. Visit the MMCC registry (OneStop Portal) and click Create Account under the Patients heading.
- Verify your email address. As soon as you have completed and submitted an online application form, a verification email will be sent to the email address you provided on your application. You must click the verification link in the email message to verify your email account. Without performing this step, your application is not complete and will not be reviewed by the Commission.
- Completed applications will be reviewed by MMCC and you will receive a follow up email advising whether or not your application has been approved. Please retain the approval email for your records. It contains your Username, which you will need to log in to the Patient registry (OneStop Portal), as well as your MMCC Patient ID Number, which your physician will need to issue your written certification for medical cannabis. Once you have a written certification, you will also need to provide your Patient ID Number when visiting a licensed dispensary to purchase medical cannabis.
- OPTIONAL: Designate a Caregiver. Once your application ha0s been approved, you can log into the Patient registry (OneStop Portal) to access your account and designate a caregiver (on the Add/Remove Caregiver tab). Please note that the caregiver must be registered (submitted an application and received MMCC approval) prior to being designated.
After receiving MMCC approval, you are ready to visit a provider registered with MMCC to obtain a valid certification. Once fully registered and in possession of a valid certification, you will be able to print your temporary MMCC patient ID card, this will be required to purchase medical cannabis from a licensed Maryland dispensary.
Please be sure to have your MMCC Patient ID Number with you when you visit your provider and the dispensary.